Office 365: Creating Groups in Exchange Online
With Exchange Online, unlike with simple POP3/IMAP4 mail services, it’s possible to create distribution groups that are available to all of your users.
If you have a number of logical groupings of users, some of which may include external users, you can create distribution groups in Exchange Online which can be used for sending e-mails to multiple defined groups.
Exchange Online Recipients
The first thing you need to do is find the Exchange Online recipient options:
- Login to the Office 365 portal and go to the Admin app
- Next, in the left hand menus, choose ADMIN > Exchange to take you to the Exchange admin center
- Under recipients, select groups
Adding groups through Office 365 only allows you to create security groups; Exchange Online lets you create distribution groups.
To create a group in Exchange Online;
- Select recipients then contacts
- Click the + button and select either Distribution group or Dynamic distribution group
- Next complete the details about the group and click Save
When you create a distribution group, in addition to completing the basic details, you should add members which can include local users or contacts (see last week’s newsletter). For dynamic distribution groups you need to select certain criteria, such as Users with Exchange mailboxes.
The contacts you add will filter down to your users who use Office Outlook. This process can take 24 hours and depends on when your users download the Offline Global Address List.
Also contact us if you want help creating better HTML e-mails instead of sending PDFs?
Graham Watkins is the CTO
of Auric Consulting, based in Cape Town.