Office 365: Dynamic Distribution Groups in Exchange Online
With Exchange Online, it’s possible to create distribution groups where membership is dynamically defined by certain criteria, for example, users with mailboxes in a specific department, province or have a defined custom attribute.
To create a dynamic distribution group in Exchange Online;
- Login to the Office 365 portal and go to the Admin app
- Next, in the left hand menus, choose ADMIN > Exchange to take you to the Exchange admin center
- Select recipients then contacts
- Click the + button and select and Dynamic distribution group
Next you have to choose whether you want the group’s membership to include Users with Exchange mailboxes, Mail users with external email addresses, Resource mailboxes etc.
Finally, if required, you can choose to add a rule, which allows you to specify other criteria.
- Once you’ve defined your criteria click Save
To add a custom attribute to a mailbox;
- Select recipients then mailboxes
- Next edit a mailbox by double-clicking the mailbox user’s name
- At the bottom you’ll see a More options… link which will allow you to add custom attributes.
Please also find attached an Office 365 Awareness Newsletter looking at the free Microsoft OneNote app which can be forwarded straight to your users.
If you are not the right person to be receiving these e-mails, let us know and we’ll send them to the right person, or stop sending them if that’s what you want.
Also contact us if you want help creating better HTML e-mails instead of sending PDFs?
Graham Watkins is the CTO
of Auric Consulting, based in Cape Town.